No. 15 Shelagh of Eskdale
A ‘new’ diesel loco for the railway was first begun in 1955 when Heathcotes Ltd of Cleator Moor built the chassis incorporating the crank webs and centre sliding axle of the former ICL No. 2 and Heywood loco Ella. With the future of the railway then in doubt, it was not completed until 1969. The chassis was sent to Severn-Lamb Ltd in Stratford, where David Curwen designed a twin-cab loco with a Ford D engine and Linde swash plate transmission.
The original engine and transmission were upgraded in 1975 and replaced in 1998 with a Ford industrial engine and Spicer Compact Shuttle transmission.
The loco was on extended load to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway from 1981-83 prior to construction of their own diesel loco. In 1984 it worked on the Liverpool International Garden Festival Railway, where it hauled the Royal Train on the opening day. Shelagh has returned to permanent way duties after an overhaul and now performs most of the early morning 28 mile patrols.
- Built: 1969
- Builder: Severn-Lamb, Stratford
- Wheels: 4-6-4
- Type: Diesel, 80 hp
- Length: 17′ 7″
- Width: 3′ 11″