Heritage Archive

The Education and Heritage Portfolio Group are custodians of a large archive of photographs.  We will be changing the content of this page periodically to share some of the large store of archive material held by the Association.

Henry Greenly sits on the tender of No 1 shortly after it was unloaded at Ravenglass. The loco was sent up north for trials, straight from the builders (Davey Paxman & Co of Colchester) in June 1925.

Loco ‘LZ1’  (Louis Zborowski No 1) then un-named stands proudly at Ravenglass station in June 1925. The tender is unlettered as the RH&DR did not exist at that time. The site was found later that year.

The loco was returned to Paxman’s for certain alterations after the trial runs at Ravenglass. The name plates were engraved ‘Green Goddess’ and the RH&DR lettering applied to the tender. It is seen loaded onto a ‘Rectank’ wagon outside the Colchester factory ready to travel to New Romney.

No 1, Green Goddess, was stored adjacent to New Romney station in Binn’s Garage until the new loco shed was ready. The back of Northern Chief’s tender can also be seen. The garage is still in use, but not for locomotives!

The Fordson loco. with no body at Hythe 26th December 1929

The Fordson loco with no body at Hythe 26th December 1929

The Fordson loco with high bonnet at each end

The Fordson loco with high bonnet at each end

The Fordson loco at New Romney with high bonnet at each end

The Fordson loco at New Romney Shed.  The photo is from pre-1934 as the loco shed roof has not yet been raised.

The Fordson loco with Captain Howey after the front bonnet has been lowered.

The Fordson loco with front bonnet lowered