The Simplex came to the railway in 1947, as part of the equipment Capt. Howey purchased on the closure of the Eaton Hall Railway – the line built by Sir A P Heywood for his Cheshire estate. It dated from 1938.
The Simplex came to Romney with the coaching stock from the line (1 saloon, 1 open, 1 bogie brake van and a parcels van) – the first three were repatriated to Eaton Hall in the 1990s – the parcels van was broken up in 1966.
The Simplex is now back in traffic engaged on p/way work after its overhaul at John Fowler Engineering.